Friday Roundup (of News & Thoughts & Such) - November 11, 2022

Thoughts

Taking a break from God of War just long enough to write this. I don’t especially love the game but I just want people to know that I’m current with the trendz.

News

1. Let’s talk about Drake:

Yes, we have to talk about Drake. Her Loss came out last week and it fucking sucks. Honestly, just copy/paste my review of whatever that other bad album he just put out was called and it mostly applies. We are now nearing the 10 year mark since this guy put out an interesting album and he still gets plaudits. 21 Savage is also there. Anyway, there’s like at least 3 controversies sprouting off this one mid-ass album, which is probably an accomplishment I guess. 

First, we got a line that very strongly implied Megan Thee Stallion had lied about getting shot by Tory Lanez which is just… a very odd thing to accuse someone of. I can’t exactly say I’m surprised by this just because if there’s anyone who knows about lying for clout, it’s ol’ Jimmy Brooks. There is, of course, something much more sinister at play here, being the need to make specious allegations about a high profile black woman who was a victim of violence. But he’s a sensitive guy. A Certified Lover Boy, even. 

Then we get a line calling out the husband of Serena Williams (and according to Wikipedia, Serena and Drake used to date, which is like… how did I miss that?). Also her husband founded Reddit? Missed that one too. I’m gonna just type this out: 

“Sidebar, Serena, your husband a groupie / He claim we don't got a problem but / No, boo, it is like you comin' for sushi / We might pop up on 'em at will like Suzuki.”

What did, like, literally any of that mean? Like, you can go to Genius and read the explanation that tries desperately to pretend there’s any depth there, but like… no. Sure, “No, boo” sounds like “Nobu” but why are we talking about sushi to begin with? This is full on that Eminem “cinnamon toast” meme. Just words that sound like other words and calling it depth.

Lastly, the album promotion aped the ever-fucking fuck out of Vogue, leading to maybe the first ever time I’ve seen a lawsuit relating to IP in music where I said “yeah, give Anna Wintour some money.” Fuck Drake.

2. Doja Cat’s name on Twitter is “christmas” because Elon Musk is a goddamn idiot 



3. Did we not cover Takeoff last week?

I really thought I wrote about this last week but I guess I didn’t. Takeoff, the quietest member of Migos, was killed on November 1, following an altercation during a dice game. He was pronounced dead at the scene. He was 28 years old. 

4. Aaron Carter passes away:

(Brandon’s note: Turning this over to Botts): Aaron Carter wanted to be remembered as a phoenix rising from the ashes. And sadly, with another child star’s death, his legacy proves that sometimes a final wish can come true. While his music might not have been legendary, I found a genuine respect for this man because of how he carried himself in Hollywood after being groomed to be a star. And as a child, he dealt with all aspects of fame, fortune, and fandom as best as any young and developing person probably could. I’m sure that movie writers are lining up to write a script full of tragedy where you invariably root for a happy ending that doesn’t come. But Aaron’s real life story proves happy endings are hard to come by in Hollywood. Drug addiction, too many rehabs, and failed reconciliations from a damaged childhood often prohibit a positive psyche from seeing the world in a positive manner. And it’s a shame that interviews are where he talks about fame and its damage to the mind and how his parents invariably fucked him up are seen as tragedies of his own fault. I’ll leave you with this story which shaped my opinion of him. His mom tried pressuring him to lie about sexual exploitation when he was friends with Michael Jackson so his family could sue him and make a lot of money. He chose to call out his mom, with federal agents around, instead of giving up someone who he saw as a friend. Maybe that loyalty, integrity, and forthrightness is why the Backstreet Boys mourn the loss of a friend.

Such

What’s channel.WAV listening to this week?


Ritter: Our (short) tour of my favorite tracks of the year continues. Rosalía's transformation as an artist this year has been astounding. I listen to MOTOMAMI and its deluxe regularly.


Botts: Dane and I used to slaughter people in Call of Duty while this song played.


Theatrical Banger: "Everybody’s a Little Racist" from Avenue Q

This is the first musical number I heard where I audibly went, “Jesus Christ”.


Slone: Somewhere in the history of this column (which has been running for almost a whole year now!), I surely recommended "Starálfur" by Sigur Rós, which is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written but I’m gonna go ahead and throw it at you again because it makes me feel things.


________________________________________________

Um, say something funny in the comments like "boogers" and Dane will do "the Macarena" to Rihanna's new song on video.

- Slone

Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for yelling at us!