Fresh Friday - November 18, 2022

Got some exciting new music out, get into it! But first...

Fun music fact of the week: We're talking about record deals and creative ways to get out of 'em so here's a couple abbreviated, fun tales: Frank Ocean dropped Endless exclusively to Apple Music to break his Def Jam contract, then next day dropped Blonde independently; Wilco accidentally conned Warner Bros into paying for Yankee Hotel Foxtrot twice because it gained popularity during its first release; Marvin Gaye gave the middle finger to his ex-wife with Here, My Dear when their divorce promised her all the proceeds from his next album -- the legend goes he made an awful album to fulfill the contract, but it's a great album, so the legend is wrong. Shoutout BSlime for assistance on these facts.

Second fun music fact (submitted by my wife): Queen of Pop (TM) Bridget Mendler is making her return to music soon!

Albums/EPs

BROCKHAMPTON - The Family & TM:

So, fun story -- BROCKHAMPTON broke up earlier this year, but a few months ago started promising one more album -- they were under contract for two more per their RCA deal. The band was burnt out, but Kevin Abstract pushed them to do one more.

Thus, BROCKHAMPTON starts teasing and promoting new album this past month and a half, and the lead singles for album The Family... only featured Kevin. Fans were upset, this isn't the group effort they expected! Maybe these songs are just Kevin's, and the rest of the album is each member on a different track by themselves. Fast forward to this Monday, the band announce that The Family is pushed forward to Thursday morning... suspicious. More suspicious is that the entire album is just Kevin.

As soon as The Family is released, a poster (here) is released, with some fun info at the bottom... "SURPRISE ALBUM AT MIDNIGHT". 

Ultimately, The Family was released to fulfill the contract, and TM was their return to an independent sound. Very clever. I have to say, The Family is far and away a better album, but it was nice to hear them all on one more album. I'm gonna miss the band, they were a defining sound for my senior year of college and my first year out of college.

Weyes Blood - And In The Darkness, Hearts Aglow:

This might take me a couple of listens to really enjoy.

Busta Rhymes - The Fuse is Lit EP:

Someone said recently they didn't think Busta had it in him anymore, I thought he sounded pretty good here.

Fousheé - softCORE:

It's amazing how much Fousheé has done prior to her debut album... very impressive.

Saweetie - The Single Life EP:

I like Saweetie, she's fun.

Phony Ppl - Euphonyus:

It feels like this album has been in production since 2020, but damn is it good.

Singles/Music Videos

Gucci Mane - "Letter to Takeoff":

Gucci gets it, this is really good stuff. I can't say much more because I'm afraid I might ruin the sentiment.

Pharrell - "Down In Atlanta (feat. Travis Scott)":

This is alright.

Zack Fox - "sipping my tea":

The funniest rapper-comedian of all time continues.

PinkPantheress - "Do you miss me?":

Produced by Kaytranada? Um, hell yes.

Chance the Rapper - "YAH Know":

I feel like we're so close... SO CLOSE to a breakthrough with Chance. I still have faith for the album. Cool sample, it just overpowers the song.

Kendrick Lamar - "Rich Spirit":

This man is a whole genius.

Matthew McConaughey - "Bless The Mood":

I wanna start this off by saying I like McConaughey -- when I ran a radio show in college with my roommate, he was kind enough to call in and answer some questions. He's got the right ideas about gun sense in Texas.

But this monstrosity, should not fucking exist. Holy cow, I can't even form the words. I implore you to watch this video, but also to be prepared to rinse your eyeballs with acid after.

I know somewhere some Texas fan is holy shit, this is the best thing ever made by man. I just know it.

Misc.

Westside Boogie - More Black Superheroes (Deluxe):

Great album, give it a listen.

Fana Hues - flora + fana (deluxe):

Great album, give it a listen.

Holidays (I'm almost done with Christmas shopping, woohoo)

Phoebe Bridgers - So Much Wine:

This is like halfway holiday music, but it's nice. It stays.

Kadhja Bonet - "Little Christmas Tree":



________________________________________________

I'm tired, y'all. Lemme know which BROCKHAMPTON album you liked better below.

- Ritter

Comments