Fresh Friday - November 11, 2022

Happy "11:11" Day -- supposedly this is an angel number, I don't fricking know. Kiss an angel today or whatever. I have bronchitis and am furiously working through one of three 20-30 page papers so I don't have the time.

Fun Music Fact of the Week: there are no songs written in 11/11 time, as far as I and Google know, but it's not too late for Mr. Aaron Botts to invent one.

Stressed over the election? Me too. Grab a cold drink, queue up Spotify, and check out our selection of new music below, BECAUSE IT'S FRESH FRIDAY, Y'ALL.


Albums/EPs

Wizkid - More Love, Less Ego:

This guy has such a good sound, I hope this album is similar to the last because that was great.

Nas - King's Disease III:

Who knew Nas would be almost 50 and kicking out fantastic albums year-after-year. There's an interesting study to be done of rappers who have stuck around too long, and others who have a few more years of interesting material.

Bruce Springsteen - Only the Strong Survive:

It's here, and I don't know if I'll listen or not.

Rauw Alejandro - SATURNO:

RosalĂ­a's boyfriend is a Spanish-language rapper, and he is great. I highly recommend his previous project if you like this (or if you don't).

GloRilla - Anyways, Life's Great... EP:

I like GloRilla. I don't know much about her, but she's got a fun personality, and an interesting voice.

Various - Black Panther: Wakanda Forever:

Call this the "Rihanna calm before the Rihanna storm" since there's another song at the end of this album. Hope to see this movie soon!

AKAI SOLO - Spirit Roaming:

Brandon and I saw AKAI open for Armand Hammer and Injury Reserve, and man does this guy have great potential and energy. I dig this album.

DRAM - What Had Happened Was...:

We covered some Drake drama in our Roundup today, but we missed that Drake brought up an altercation with DRAM from five years ago...

Anyway, this album is dope, he's much more original than Drake.


Singles/Music Videos

SZA - "PSA":

This is not a music video, per se, nor is it a single, but damn, this song backing the video is fantastic.

Morgan Wade - "The Night 1&2":

Fantastic double single here, love the alternate take.

Elle King - "Jersey Giant":

Elle is touring with Tyler Childers! But not in Kentucky :(

BROCKHAMPTON - "The Ending":

I don't know what's going on with this album, and it doesn't seem like BROCKHAMPTON do either.

Stormzy - "Firebabe":

If you remember last Stormzy single I called him the "British Kendrick Lamar", and to prove me right he said "this new album is like me holding up a mirror to myself." Who does that sound like... 

Hozier - "Blood Upon the Snow":

This was made for the God of War: Ragnarok video game, which I will probably get around to playing next year. Ask BSlime for his opinion.

Rod Wave - "Break My Heart":

My students like this guy, I think this is a really bad, boring song.

Oddisee - "Hard to Tell":

Once I met a semi-famous poet who wrote a lot about hip-hop and asked him who his favorite MCs were. He said "Oddisee" then couldn't remember any of the (very) popular songs of Oddisee's that I rattled off to him. Don't play, y'all.


Misc. (deluxes, covers, remixes, etc.)

Run the Jewels - RTJ CU4TRO:

Not sure why this album was remade, this seems like a money grab. I would instead love to see more in the "Meow the Jewels" series.

Chris Stapleton - "I'm A Ram":

Speaking of money grabs, here's Chris Stapleton covering Al Green to promote cars. I'm not upset because it sounds good.


Holiday (dear, god, we're getting closer)

Hailey Whitters - "Meet Me Under the Mistletoe":


KIRBY - "Merry Like This":



________________________________________________

Folks, I can't keep up with the sheer volume of new music every week. If we miss something you think is worthy of making the list, drop it in the comments below, and let us know what stood out above.

- Ritter

Comments