Staff Inspection: Taylor Swift's Middling-nights

Hi. Brandon here. It’s time for another Staff Inspection. The following is the transcript from our group listen-along on October 24. It has been lightly edited for clarity, and to make me look better.


On beginnings and “Lavender Haze”...


Ritter: Alright to kick it off, how many times have we listened to the album? This is my third listen.

Botts: 0️⃣

Slone: I think this is 4?

Ritter: Aaron’s virgin ears are ready.

Botts: Oh boy, let’s do it, Taylor.

Ritter: It’s projected that the album is going to sell 1.2 million units, and I find that unbelievable until everyone tells me how many times they’ve streamed it.

Botts: A lot of people will buy a nostalgia record. Fitting for Christmas and satisfying the gift purchase for the cousin you know likes TSwift

Slone: I’m more in the position of “maybe this time when I listen to it, I’ll understand why everyone loves it so much.” I don’t think it’s bad or anything approaching bad. For a Taylor album, I’d call it middling.

Ritter: “Middling” is apt.

Botts: Lavender Haze was ok?

Ritter: I enjoy it, I think the first half of the album is good tbh. I can’t distinguish the songs in my memory, however. There’s nothing that sticks in my brain.

Slone: It’s kind of a blur. A lavender haze as it were.


On “Maroon”...


Botts: It feels like a prolonged where the mushrooms you took were only shiitake

Slone: Jesus Christ


On lead single “Anti-Hero”...


Slone: Middlingnights maybe lol. Okay I do dig this song tho. A lot. I forgot about the part where she compares others to “sexy babies” whatever tf that means.

Botts: Hollywood has a lotta plastic lemme tella ya

Ritter: This is the only song I can remember, clearly the single when they recorded the album haha


On “Snow On the Beach”...


Slone: “Snow On the Beach” is my jam 


Ritter: We’re in the David Lynch era

Botts: Who is Janet?

Slone: Jackson

Botts: frfr? Wait is this a concept album?

Ritter: I do believe this is a concept album, but the concept is the same as any other TS album

Botts: Huh - interesting.


“You’re On Your Own, Kid”...


Ritter: This is the song that loses me, by the way

Slone: The hook if it can be called a hook is not very catchy

Botts: Not a fan of this intro

Slone: Are we listening to the main album or the ones with bonus tracks

Ritter: I only put the main album in there, the bonus tracks are too much. I don’t think they add anything. 

Slone: Ok good. I’m not a fan of putting out bonus tracks for an album that JUST came out

On “Midnight Rain”... (things started to derail here)


Botts: November Rain > Midnight Rain

Slone: Taylor Swift never played a guitar solo on a casket

Botts: Shit I meant to say Purple Rain

Slone: You got a problem with November Rain? I’ll defend the good goddamn name of Guns N Roses

Botts: I don’t believe in comparing songs out of genre, somehow Prince seems more akin to Taylor than GnR

Ritter: Isn’t Axl Rose a nazi?

Slone: No, I think he’s fairly progressive in his politics, he’s just an asshole

Botts: That’ll do it

Ritter: My b, I’m thinking of the time he wrote a song with the n-word in it lol

On “Question…?” and regrets...?


Botts: This song makes me think of Dane laughing at me for making out at a bar once.

Ritter: Oh shit… Can’t unhear it.

On “Vigilante Shit”...


Ritter: “Vigilante Shit” sounds like a Reputation reject

Slone: This song sucks.

Ritter: I concur

Slone: Idk why the title needed Vigilante in it when it could just be called shit. Was that too mean?

Botts: Shit dawg

Ritter: Lmaooo


On “Bejeweled”...


Slone: This is such a jaunty little beat. It makes me smile.


On “Labyrinth”...


Ritter: This song is ok. I will give it to her. But at some point it has all started blending together.

Botts: It feels like the whole album is one long extended take

Slone: I get it now. I understand the concept.

Botts: I wanna hear the BSlime wisdom 

Slone (BSlime?): You know how when it’s late at night you have a bunch of thoughts and then the next day you don’t remember literally any of it? It’s that but in album form.

Botts: Ah. Astute. And Agreed.

~Kelli interlude~


Kelli: This album sounds like someone writing lyrics actively trying to sound ~deep~ rather than just writing lyrics that resonate with people/the story. Some of the lyrics really give middle schooler on tumblr energy. Also I don’t like Lana.

Ritter: I too hate Lana, Kelli


~Back to our regularly scheduled programming~

On “Karma” and bad songs...


Slone: Ok, this fucking song

Ritter: I HATE THIS SONG

Botts: She lost me at Spider Boy. Now I know what I’m shouting at Tom Holland.

Ritter: “Karma is a cat” is the worst goddamn lyric just stop.

Slone: Karma is a list of various nouns. Karma is the rhyming dictionary / That I bought at HPB

Ritter: Lmao


On “Sweet Nothing”...


Ritter: Ok I don’t remember this song at all lol

Botts: I kinda like the somber aspect and melody to this one

Slone: Yeah I like it

Botts: My favorite off this album tbh

Ritter: I also really like this one

Slone: Taylor, you’re winning back the crowd!

Ritter: I don’t like this album I promise


On “Mastermind” and final thoughts...


Ritter: I think we’re running into the Drake issue, where people try so hard to make his music mean something but it’s all so surface level. Kelli is right. (Brandon’s note: Kelli would later describe herself as “plum chuffed” by this statement)

Ritter: Final thoughts on the album?

Botts: Solid 3/5. I like that one song but can’t remember the name

Slone: It’s fine. I don’t see myself ever listening to it beginning to end again, but I’ve got my tracks that I enjoy. Reputation tier.


Ritter: We’re inevitably rewarding mediocrity with 1.2 million sales. She can do much better. I’m not angry, just disappointed.

Slone: I think there’s a very good EP in there but it’s thrown off by filler. THe issue here is that if your album is only 13 tracks, you don’t have space for filler. I think I’m more positive on it than you guys are but I think we are pretty well all in agreement that this is her weakest material in a while.

Ritter: folklore and evermore were such highs for me, and until then I did not enjoy T Swift more than just a few songs. I feel like this is a hundred steps backward for me lol

Botts: I like it when considering BSlime’s theory but that’s it

________________________________________________

Well folks, that’s our review. How do you feel about Midnights? Were we too harsh? Let us know in the comments below!

- channel.WAV

Comments