Friday Roundup (of News & Thoughts & Such) - October 7/8, 2022

Thoughts

I almost said fuck it and didn’t write the column this week. Then I did write the column and it got lost. That’s the OFFICIAL story anyway. What actually happened? Dane said “this column is too controversial to publish. You have to rewrite this.”

Then I REALLY didn’t want to write the column. Anyway, here it is. Bearing no resemblance to my first draft, which was lost to the sea. Someday it’ll resurface behind a Patreon paywall. 

News 

1. Kid Cudi wants to retire from music and become a kindergarten teacher:

With as much shit as he’s dealt with recently, I can’t say I blame him. Never was a fan of his musically, but like he seems like an okay enough dude from what I know. I haven’t looked into it extensively (read: at all) or anything. Maybe he’s history’s greatest monster and I never even knew it. 

2. I see several publications telling me that someone named Nick Mara is leaving something called PrettyMuch:

I don’t know what that is. If you do, I’m sorry for your loss and would be happy to buy you a Dr. Pepper. Has to be a Dr. Pepper though. Not a Coke or a Pepsi or whatever.

3. Migos does still exist but they’re on an indefinite hiatus:

Kinda seems like maybe they won’t be a group long term tho. 

4. Goddamn Right Said Fred is picking a fight with Beyoncé now:

It seems like every single sample on this album wants to start some shit. Let’s just not. 

5. Coachella and Afrochella are beefing over the suffix “chella” because everyone and everything is stupid. 


6. In our most important news of the week, one of the unquestioned titans of country music, Loretta Lynn, died this week, at the age of 90:

Lynn had a frankly astonishing level of influence and longevity, with a career spanning over 60 years, multiple Gold Records, and an Oscar winning biopic based on her life. Loretta Lynn toured consistently for 57 years before being forced to retire in 2017 following a stroke and subsequent broken hip. 

Give a listen to “Coal Miner’s Daughter,” “You Ain’t Woman Enough (To Take My Man),” or any other classic in tribute this weekend. 

Such

What’s channel.WAV listening to this week?




Ritter: It is officially spooky season, but I am also at an utter and complete loss as to how to properly mourn Loretta besides playing her music over and over again while I cry into my books.



Botts: Song: Have You Seen Me Lately by Counting Crows

I heard if Dane’s dad doesn’t comment he has to let me park at his house for the UK vs South Carolina game


Theatrical Banger: "Come What May" from Moulin Rouge

Is this a musical number or a cringy moment? Vote in the comments below!

________________________________________________


You heard Aaron! Vote!

- Slone

Comments