Fresh Friday - October 14th, 2022

Hello there, welcome back. How are you? Surviving? Me neither. We are all so glad this week is over.

Fun musical fact of the week: music helps plants grow faster (and healthier). That doesn't mean they enjoy your singing, so shut up.

New music to forget your woes:

Albums/EPs

The 1975 - Being Funny In A Foreign Language:

Taking some time today to synthesize my thoughts on this album... I don't wanna be too quick to judge, but my initial instinct is disappointment.

SAULT - Angel:

This is being distributed as an EP, but it's like three songs over a 10 minute track. Big reggae influence and very touching subjects. I dig it, I hope it's a preview of a new album "X" or "10" or whatever.

Tove Lo - Dirt Femme:

Tove Lo never lets me down -- fantastic from front to back.

MAVI - Laughing So Hard, It Hurts:

If you've never heard 2019's Let the Sun Talk, please do so before hearing MAVI's sophomore album. It's leaps and bounds better, but this is still good.

Lolo Zouaï - PLAYGIRL:

To paraphrase my thoughts on Kali Uchis last week, we stan!

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Return of the Dream Canteen:

Will Aaron review this album? Only time will tell.

M.I.A. - MATA:

Brandon has promised to review this album, but after this week she's gearing towards a lifetime ban from the blog like the O.G. [REDACTED]. I do not like her, and I shan't listen to this mess.

Lil Baby - It's Only Me:

The gall of this man to take the "rap Mt. Rushmore" meme and put his head on all four of the spots... when he can't pick a good beat to save his life. Yawn.

Singles/Music Videos

blink-182 - "EDGING":

Never been a fan of these guys, I guess I missed something to be into this in middle school. But their marketing (video above) is spot-on and so I gave the new song a listen. I didn't like it, and so I've decided some groups should stay broken-up.

Doechii - "Stressed":

This song is how I have felt for the past two weeks.

The Arcs - "Keep On Dreamin'":

Holy cow, it's happening! A follow up! I am on board.

Lil Yachty - "Poland":

"I took a walk to Portland," or whatever this song is saying. Not new, but a cultural touchstone.

Stormzy - "Hide & Seek":

The British equivalent to Kendrick has promised a new album out soon, and the lead single is a down-tempo crooner -- a must-listen!

French Montana - "Whipp'n It Slowly":

Holy shit, I don't even know where to start with this one. First, French has to be my least favorite rapper, and that's saying something because there's some real shit shows out there. It's astonishing how much bravado he thinks he has for a man who raps like a middle schooler. Second, don't you dare take a classic like the Fugee's "Killing Me Softly" and then PURPOSEFULLY SING LIKE A MORON over it. Third, who the fuck approved this song??? This went through so many channels? I feel like if Lauryn Hill heard this song she'd revoke the approval of the sample and then unpublish the original from all streaming services. Good God, man. Have you no shame? No self awareness??

Misc.

Robert Glasper - Black Radio III (Supreme Edition):

If you have yet to listen to Glasper's most recent installment in the Black Radio series, now is the best time. The expanded "Supreme" edition features a posthumous verse from Mac Miller, among other collabs.


________________________________________________

As Chris Stapleton once asked, "what are you listening to? Is it a country band? Is it a sad song?" Is it from the list above? Let us know in the comments below!

- Ritter

Comments