Friday Roundup (of News & Thoughts & Such) - September 30, 2022

Thoughts

It’s Thursday at 11:40pm, there’s not a lot of time of thought. 


News 

1. Getting this out of the way, I didn’t watch the Action Bronson wrestling match, because work has been hellish. 

We’ve got a lightning round this week. Lots of news worth mentioning; very little worth talking about. 


2. The new Taylor Swift album, Midnights, will drop October 21: 


Coincidentally, I’m making 2 separate trips to Louisville that weekend and have my car music picked out. 

3. Lizzo played James Madison’s flute: 

I don’t really know that I can explain why, but this story just made me really happy. Notably, she is the “first and only person” to play the 200 year old crystal flute (my favorite Indiana Jones film, incidentally). I kinda wish it had sounded like shit; like, wouldn’t that have been iconic? If there was a beautiful 200 year old crystal flute, but when she played it it sounded like that SpongeBob episode where he goes into Squidward’s dream and turns into a clarinet and just screams “la la la” and that King fish is like “whoy ‘ave you stopped playing ‘at byooteeful myoosick?”

4. Genesis and Avicii(‘s estate) sold their song catalogs, bringing us ever closer to a world where literally all art is held by media conglomerates:

Did you see that NBC-Universal is looking at merging with Warner Bros.-Discovery in 2024? Antitrust in this country is comical. I for one look forward to this future where every single thing we watch is made by one of 2 companies. This is the future Game Pass nerds want. 

5. Coolio died at age 59:

“Pastime Paradise” is a banger and we are a vocally pro Stevie Wonder blog, but I think it’s fair to say that “Gangsta’s Paradise” took the string track to the next level. Give “Fantastic Voyage” a spin, y’all. 



Such

What’s channel.WAV listening to this week?



Ritter: Today's the last day of what has been a Stevie September, so I'm throwing out 1.) a pseudo tribute to Coolio, and 2.) a song that got me through the week. Tomorrow is SPOOKY MUSIC SEASON, be prepared.


Slone


Botts: Song: Here to Forever by Death Cab for Cutie Write in the comments what my blurb to HAIM would be.


Theatrical Banger: "I’ll Make a Man Out of You" from Mulan

Remember when Disney made a live action remake and cut the one number everyone loved? (Brandon’s note: this is how I found out there is a live action Mulan)

________________________________________________

- Slone

Editor's note: No one had any thoughts on God last week, maybe y'all have thoughts on Edgar Allen Poe? Homie was crazy racist and I didn't find that out until this week. Don't believe me? Go read "Hop-Frog" and "The System of Dr. Feather & Prof. Tarr" then come back and let me know your thoughts. Discuss below, forevermore.

Comments