Fresh Friday - September 30, 2022

Happy Freddie Gibbs day, y'all! Nothing like Fresh Freddie to kick off the weekend.

Fun music fact of the week: the "chopped and screwed" genre hit the streets of Houston in the 90s and was popularized by DJ Screw. Shoutout H-town for the aural lean and rest in peace, Screw.

We gotcha covered for some new releases today, and let's try a new format as well:


Albums

Freddie Gibbs - Soul Sold Separately

I am currently writing this in my Freddie Gibbs hoodie, which I will be wearing to teach in while you read these words. This shit is immaculate.

Tyler Childers - Can I Take My Hounds to Heaven?

When the single(s) for this album(s?) was released (just ignore the grammatical inconsistency of that clause and it'll work), I saw this as an extremely ambitious project, but damn -- if anyone can pull it off, it's Mr. Childers.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Cool It Down

Lots of bands returning to music this week, and none more welcome than this group. The album does not disappoint!

Kid Cudi - Entergalactic

If you need something to do this weekend, go support the only man that has outwardly stood up to [REDACTED] in recent years and stream this album and watch his Netflix movie.


Notable mentions: It was a good week for underground rap -- Rome Streetz, Boldy James, and billy woods (of Armand Hammer) all gave us new albums. Slipknot released a new album, for our metal heads. And Frank Ocean did not drop an album.


Singles & Videos

Paramore - "This Is Why":

There have been hints for the past couple months that Paramore was making a long-awaited return, and it was worth the freaking wait.

Ed Sheeran - "Celestial":

I am a huge Ed Sheeran hater and proud of it. He is highly overrated, and I've only enjoyed one song of his ever, "Shape of You," which was promptly ruined by the radio. Idk what he's doing here with Pokémon -- as far as I can tell, this song has nothing to do with the franchise, they just said "we'll pay you dumb money to make it seem like it."

Arctic Monkeys - "Body Paint":

Now this is a good British group, and Ed Sheeran can shut the fuck up (sorry). I am anxiously awaiting their album like I'm back in high school.

Bruce Springsteen - "Do I Love You (Indeed I Do)":

Back before Freddie Gibbs was the Big Boss Rabbit, Bruce was The Boss. His album rollout was spoiled this month "accidentally" by a journalist, but this is still a welcome surprise.

Smino - "90 Proof (feat. J. Cole)":

I expected more from these names, but this is still pretty smooth.

Men I Trust - "Billie Toppy":

I feel an album coming...


Notable mentions: Shawn Mendes did a song for whatever the fuck Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile is; LCD Soundsystem contributed to the White Noise soundtrack; M.I.A. has promised her new album this year and gave us the second single; and Charlie Puth is still insufferable.


Misc.

Denzel Curry - Melt My Eyez See Your Future (Expanded Edition)

My man dropped a contender for album of the year then went back and RE-RECORDED IT, better

Hocus Pocus 2 - OST

I told y'all, it's Spooky Music Season tomorrow!!!

________________________________________________


What are you listening to today? What stuck out on this list? Let us know in the comments below!

- Ritter

Comments

  1. I will review the MIA album when it comes out; am very excited to see what Born Again Christian MIA has to say

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for yelling at us!