Friday Roundup (of News & Thoughts & Such) - July 22nd, 2022

I like some of you. Some of you like me (I hope!). Either way, it’s time for the Friday Roundup of News and Thoughts and Such. Here’s a fun fact. Every single week, I just make a copy of the document from the week before. The one I am typing on right now is called “Copy of Copy of Copy of Copy of Copy of Copy of Copy of Copy of Copy of Copy of Copy of Copy of Copy of Copy of Copy of Copy of Copy of Copy of Copy of Untitled document.”


Jiminy Christmas, what a week.


1. Ricky Martin allegations dropped: 

This story has been out there for a while but I have refrained from “reporting” on it because it just felt gross but the story seems to have reached its conclusion now. But, in short, Ricky Martin’s nephew claimed a long term incestuous relationship which allegedly resulted in Martin harassing the 21 year old following the relationship’s end. Martin denied all associated allegations. An EPO was granted and was lifted on Thursday following the accuser’s withdrawing the complaint.


2. Pearl Jam cancels show due to Eddie Vedder throat damage: 

Due to “extreme circumstances”, with the band specifically citing heat, dust, and smoke from wildfires in Paris following a multi-hour outdoor show, Pearl Jam canceled a show scheduled for July 20 in Vienna. The July 22 show in Prague has since been canceled as well. It remains to be seen if the rest of the tour will be affected.


3. Justin Bieber is back: 

In lighter news, Justin Bieber’s tour has resumed following his recent Ramsay Hunt syndrome diagnosis, which left half of his face totally paralyzed. Bieber is set to make his return to the stage at a show in Italy on July 31.


4. Fred Durst dealing with health issues: 

Back to less fortunate news, Limp Bizkit has canceled its tour due to “unexpected news” concerning the health of Fred Durst. The exact circumstances remain undisclosed at this time. In addition, CNN’s report on this refers to the singer as “Durtz” at one point. As of this writing, this has been up for 2 days and has not been corrected


5. Kevin Gates punched Tony Nese in kayfabe: 

So, I was watching AEW Dynamite on Wednesday, as I do at least 50% of Wednesdays, when Kevin Gates was shown in the front row. He then punched Tony Nese. Now, if I may digress for a moment, I don’t like when outside celebrities go over wrasslers, because it serves to help no one. The story will not continue. Tony will not get his win back. And to cap it off, I was already annoyed by this when someone on Twitter noted that you should not Google “Kevin Gates dog” which I can confirm as true. Oh, Jermaine Dupri was also there.


6. James Blunt mockumentary: 

The be-liked one hit wonder will be the subject of a This is Spinal Tap style mockumentary. That sounds kinda fun, I guess.


7. Harry Styles smells good: 

Lizzo confirmed what we all knew, saying that Styles smells “Very good.” 


8. Lady Gaga choreographer accused of “toxic behavior”: 

Richy Jackson, perhaps best known for spelling his name in a way that makes me viscerally uncomfortable, has been accused of creating a “toxic, hostile, and abusive workplace” by 10 former backup dancers. Gaga’s team is conducting an investigation of the allegations. The accusers made sure to note their allegations to not extend to Gaga herself, who was not present for the rehearsals in question. The singer has not yet made a public response to the allegations.


9. Live Nation denies liability for death of Drakeo the Ruler: 

Live Nation, which is basically the music promotion equivalent of a supervillain at this point, declared that the rapper’s 2021 stabbing death was “unforeseeable” and that Drakeo himself failed to request additional security in the backstage area where the murder occurred. If you would, I ask that you folks read some actual journalism exploring Live Nation’s longstanding history of completely reprehensible behavior as pertaining to the safety of its performers and fans. Please note, this article was written and published in response to the Astroworld tragedy, before Drakeo the Ruler’s death.

10. Chainsmokers are going to space: 

When I was in college, nobody realized that they had actually been around for a little while and that they did that “Selfie” song that was popular in 2014ish when life was a little bit simpler.


11. Beastie Boys getting an intersection: 

The corner of Ludlow and Rivington in New York City, immortalized on the cover of Paul’s Boutique (a top 5 rap album of the 80s and no I will not be taking questions), has officially been designated Beastie Boys Square. 


12. Roger Waters says he is a bigger deal than Drake and The Weeknd: 

I feel like the guys from Pink Floyd seem like dicks. Is this just a me thing? Dude got upset because a Toronto newspaper covered the tour of the mega famous current day pop stars and not everyone’s second favorite Pink Floyd guy. I don’t know if that’s true. I don’t know who is singing what in their discography. Can anyone tell me how to distinguish Roger Waters from David Gilmour. In my mind, I’m supposed to like David but not Roger. Is that accurate? Is this a Brian Wilson / Mike Love situation where one is clearly better than the other? Or is it a John and Paul thing where there’s more of a 50/50 divide even though George Harrison is the best.


What’s channel.WAV listening to this week?


Slone: Discover Weekly blessed me with “Go Outside” by Ratboys from their 2021 album Happy Birthday, Ratboy. This song made me really happy, even though it’s got some fairly melancholic (maybe more wistful?) lyrics. It was also apparently originally written and performed pre-COVID, which is just nutty!


Ritter: If you’re in the mood for some modern grunge (I think I just invented that genre), look no further than Momma!


Botts: If anyone from HAIM wants to get a coffee, please let me know in the comments below. (I Can’t Make You Love Me by Bon Iver)


Theatrical Banger: “Brotherhood of Man” - How to Succeed in Business without Really Trying (Daniel Radcliffe version)

Is it a hot take to say Daniel Radcliffe is a talented actor?


________________________________________________

Well folks, it’s that time of the week again where I call for comments and promise something wacky in return but I’m not feeling especially creative. Maybe if Dane is feeling generous, he’ll insert something here. If he doesn’t, well, I guess that proves that he never really loved you folks like I do.

- Slone

Editor's note: I didn't insert something there, but rather, here! Two comments below, and I'll share a remix of Miley Cyrus' "Party in the USA", where Lil Jon screams "YEAH" during the chorus.

Comments

  1. Love the blog and everything you do, can I drink your bath water?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While we don't condone it, we're certainly not one's to judge. And Brandon has said "sure, why not"

      Delete
    2. Does that count as 2 comments?

      Lil Jon remix when

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for yelling at us!