Friday Roundup (of News & Thoughts & Such) - June 24th, 2022

Due to various circumstances beyond anyone’s control, the Friday Roundup will be written from the point of view of a guy who stopped writing on Wednesday at 4:30pm. I hope that you will support this artistic decision. We will be back to our regularly scheduled programming next week. *all together now*, ANYWAY:


1. Beyonce begins releasing new tracks ahead of album release: 

“BREAK MY SOUL” came out on Tuesday and I personally think it’s fucking great. I assume it’s on Fresh Friday as well. Double coverage. Anyway, this is how you do a hard turn into making dance music. I hope certain other artists are taking notes. Imagine being a major artist and just suddenly deciding to make dance music. AND BEING BAD AT IT. And imagine Dane inserting a link to a review of an example of this phenomenon from the last week or so. 


2. Brian Wilson and Paul McCartney both turn 80: 

Are birthdays news? Probably not. But they both got headlines and star-studded tributes and I also love them both. So I’m gonna allow it. 


3. Suge Knight trial: 

The jury is apparently deadlocked in the Suge Knight civil trial relating to his running over a man in a parking lot while engaged in a dispute with another man relating to the 2015 film Straight Outta Compton. That was a very badly written sentence. I might fix it later. Knight is currently in prison after pleading no contest to a voluntary manslaughter charge for the incident. The judge has ordered that deliberations resume this week. By the time this is published there may be a verdict and I’ll re-write this whole thing. After all, it is not as if I will have to stop writing this on Wednesday due to various circumstances beyond anyone’s control. 

UPDATE: It ended in a mistrial


4. Justin Bieber indefinitely postpones remainder of tour: 

In some sad, yet predictable, follow-up to last week’s Justin Bieber news, the singer announced the indefinite postponement of the remainder of his tour while he continues to recuperate from the paralysis which has stricken half of his face.


5. Harry Styles helps a fan come out: 

“When this flag goes over my head, you’re officially gay, my boy,” Styles said to the fan, who held up a sign reading “From Ono to Wembley: Help me come out.” I fucking love that.


6. Ed Sheeran got a bunch of money in legal fees for a copyright claim: 

“The Shape of You” is apparently, legally, NOT plagiarized. Well, it wasn’t plagiarized from Sami Chokri at least. In other news: no, I don’t want no scrubs.



Next week is prolly gonna end up being really long because there’s more stuff I didn’t get to; Stay tuned for my coverage of the H.E.R. lawsuit, some BTS fallout, and idk probably some more Minions news. The “What’s channel.WAV listening to this week?” section is gonna be longer than the main article, I think.


What’s channel.WAV listening to this week?


Ritter: I’m taking my “what’re you listening to” portion to review a recent vinyl release. Get used to this from me. The Grateful Dead recently reissued the legendary Europe ‘72 live album on multi-colored vinyl for its 50th anniversary. I don’t have any other pressings to compare it to, but the new pressing has been praised as “crisp” and “cleaner” than previous masterings. I’m not a fan of color vinyl, but just look at this:
Highly recommend giving this album a listen, and if you've got money, picking up a copy for resale value. 


Botts: Jeff Meade - if you’re reading this call me.

Aaron also had the following to say, regarding a new recurring feature to be added to the Friday Roundup of News and Thoughts and Such:

We can call this section ‘Theatrical Bangers’. It’s a weekly banger highlighting a musical number from film, tv, or theater. ANYWAY:

Theatrical Banger:

Did you know the GOAT was involved in a banger? His line towards the end of the song gives him crossover cred. Fight me on it.

Slone: Sometimes, I just let YouTube playlists autoplay while I’m on lunch, which is how I discovered this recent-ish promotional video for “Have You Ever Seen the Rain?”

If anyone can explain the plot of this music video to me, I will be eternally grateful. Like, are they dating? Were they dating? What is she so upset about in the bar? Who are these people to each other? Are they a throuple? 

________________________________________________

I’m not even gonna be cute, if you can satisfactorily explain the plot of that music video to me, I will Venmo you $5.00. Comment it. Hell, just text me. If you’re reading this, you probably have my number. This is open to Aaron and Dane too. Everybody. I need answers. Specifically, I request response to the following inquiries:

1. Who are these people in relation to one another? 

2. Why is the one woman upset when she is leaving the bathroom in the bar?

3. What is the picture she is looking at while moving? Like, obviously, it is supposed to be a picture of her friends, but like the video doesn’t show the picture, nor does it show any opportunity for anyone to have taken a picture of all of them together.

4. What does this flashback have to do with anything?

Discuss in the comments!

- Slone 

Comments