Friday Roundup (of News & Thoughts & Such) - May 13th

Welcome to the Friday Roundup (of News and Thoughts and Such). I realized while writing this latest installment that this feature is called news and thoughts and such, but it focuses more on the “news” than the “thoughts,” and there’s rarely ever any “such” so this week we’re going to be a bit more free form and liberate myself from the rigid societal expectations of the 9 people who look forward to this feature every week. I haven’t eaten dinner yet and it’s getting late. Is anything even still open? Join me on what is sure to be a fun and exciting journey through the world of delivery food.


1. If you are reading this, there is a new Kendrick album: 

Probably. Maybe not. But I don’t like being lied to. (I don’t want pizza but that seems to be most of what’s open and delivering right now so we’re GrubHubbing it)

2. My Chemical Romance is back: 

The band released its first single in 8 years, “The Foundations of Decay.” I didn’t listen to it yet. Maybe it’s good? I like My Chemical Romance well enough. Emo could use a comeback, yeah? To that end, MCR is co-headlining Riot Fest with Nine Inch Nails (there’s a Wendy’s.. Is getting Wendy’s delivered to my apartment at like 10 on a Thursday night sad? Probably? You guys are always so honest with me)

3. This is Spinal Tap is getting a sequel: 

One of the best comedies of the 80s, the mockumentary following fictional heavy metal icons Spinal Tap is getting a sequel with its original cast. You ask how much more excited I can be and the answer is none... none more excited. (I think I might be leaning toward Wendy’s. You ever have one of those Frosty-ccinos? They aren’t good but they aren’t bad)

4. I need to get around to watching the Sheryl Crow documentary: 

Shery Crow is vastly underrated and wrote a hell of a Bond theme that I myself underrated on my list that I am going to plug for the 34th time. So I am very interested to see if having her in the zeitgeist for a bit will change her perception and maybe elevate her standing to the level of some of her peers.

5. Young Thug and Gunna indicted for racketeering: 

Perhaps second only to the ever elusive “HIPPA” (sic), RICO is probably the most cited law from various would-be legal scholars on Twitter dot com, who presumably heard it once when watching The Sopranos back in 2004 and just decided to adopt it into their vernacular without ever learning what in the hell the word “racketeering” means (Hint, it’s not Jack White’s other band). Anyway, Young Thug and Gunna have been charged in a real life honest to goodness RICO case, with rap lyrics apparently being considered prosecutorial evidence. Not indicted: Jack Harlow, and for some reason at least one reporter is pretty confused about it. (food ETA is 31 minutes)


Congratulations are in order to “Kelli C” who correctly guessed the answer to last week’s “2 truths and a lie extravaganza.” Ultimately she rejected her prize of Dane’s racehorse, following a disappointing showing in the Kentucky Derby.


What’s channel.WAV listening to this week?



Ritter: In the rare moments this week that I haven’t been listening to Kendrick, I’ve snuck in some plays of the latest Arcade Fire, which is a nice return to form for them.

[Sorry, this song isn't available in your region. Click here to find more info on why]

Botts: I’m trying to trigger Brandon and Dane. While they’re hyped about new Kendrick, I’m still hyped about 2000s [REDACTED]


Slone: Okay, so I’ve gone through the Kendrick catalog but have still found the time to squeeze in my 90s punk, with Rancid’s needlessly catchy “Ruby Soho” a song which has been in my head since like... Labor Day weekend 2021?


________________________________________________

If you leave a comment, I’ll say a nice thing about you. Surely others share my constant need for external validation and affirmation, right?

- Slone


Comments

  1. Hi, Slone. Your number one fan here. Any chance we can find out what Botts has been listening to? I also like Sheryl Crow and MCR. Maybe not on the same playlist, but idk it could work. 🤷‍♀️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hadn't even heard MCR released new music. Foundations of Decay is alright, hopefully they'll release something more interesting if they are planning a new album.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for yelling at us!