Friday Roundup (of News & Thoughts & Such) - May 27th

Welcome to another installation of channel.WAV's most prestigious and longest-running column. I'm filling in for Brandon this week, because he's an important businessman and I am a piece of shit with lots of free time (see this week's review of Kidz Bop). It'd be nice to receive even half of the love Brandon does for this article ðŸ¥²

Without further ado, here is some news you might've missed this week:


1. Brandy and Jack Harlow have beef:


In a news headline that I'm sure no one had on their 2022 Bingo card, 1990s and early 2000s R&B star Brandy dissed Kentucky rap star Jack Harlow over his own beat. I'm not sure exactly how this started (apparently Harlow didn't know Brandy and Ray J are related? and that upset her?), but it did lead to the best verse on Harlow's "First Class" song yet, and a fun little surprise from a queen. Please come back, Brandy.


2. Justin Timberlake sells his music catalog for a lot of freaking money:

Following the likes of Bruce Springsteen and Bob Dylan, Justin Timberlake has struck a huge deal with Hygnosis (aka Blackstone) to sell his deep catalog of solo music for a deal just over $100 million. Maybe he can use some of that money to pay reparations to Britney Spears and Janet Jackson for being a complete asshole. Just a thought.


3. Weird Al is making a graphic novel, The Illustrated Al:

Apparently Weird Al Yankovic has wanted to publish a comic book for a long time, and he's finally making his dream come true as artists interpret the lyrics of some of his best-selling songs. He joins musicians like Vince Staples and Pantera in partnering with Z2 to make this graphic novel come to life. 


4. Sadly, some influential musicians passed away this week:

As if the week couldn't get worse, some rock-and-roll icons were lost this week. Depeche Mode's Andy Fletcher (60) and Yes' drummer Alan White (72) both passed away on Thursday, May 26th. 


What is channel.WAV listening to this week?



Botts: Some asshole at the Orville Peck concert kept yelling, “PLAY fANCY!!!” It’s a banger - but it’s not worth screaming half a concert for. Nonetheless, give it a listen.



Slone: I’m going to a concert tomorrow and have only heard enough songs to verify that I would not have a bad time; can Brandon learn the catalogues of Armand Hammer and Injury Reserve in time?



Ritter: Brandon and I are going on a date (!) to see Injury Reserve and Armand Hammer tear up Columbus tomorrow night. Here are my two favorite songs by those stupendous groups. The Armand Hammer track is the only official song to my knowledge that samples a Frank Ocean song. 

P.S., I'm nervous, should I hold his hand??

________________________________________________

I'll follow Brandon's rules, so if you comment this week, I'll hijack his article next week and give you a compliment! You know what to do!

- Ritter


Comments

  1. Hello yes I'm here but I understand if I missed the compliment deadline (sorry she's been moving states again). Anyway, I also want Justin Timberlake to stop being a performative feminist. Hope Weird Al achieves bestseller status. Hope your date with Brandon went well! He's more of a waist grabber than a hand holder, FYI. I assume you scored a second date.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for yelling at us!