Fresh Friday: May 20th, 2022

Annnnd we're back! It's officially no longer Fresh Kendrick Friday, so we're looking at some stellar new releases today. Let's get right into what new music we're listening to from this week:


Harry Styles - Harry's House:


After a full listen, it feels as though Harry truly solidified his sound on this album, which takes a lot of notes from David Bowie (he has a habit of copying styles on other albums). It feels cohesive and a lot grander than his earlier solo releases, and I was quite impressed.


Boldy James & Real Bad Man - Killing Nothing:


Boldy James is quickly becoming the golden child of the underground rap scene, after his multiple collaborative albums with the Alchemist and his 2020 album with Real Bad Man. He's back with the latter producer, and this album is nuts.


Raven Lenae - HYPNOS:


Rayvn has a hypnotic (see what I did there) voice, and this album is a nice expansion of her sound. Plus, some unexpected Kaytranada production (see above song) is a great touch.


Takeoff and Quavo (as Unc and Phew?) - "HOTEL LOBBY" :


This one is interesting mostly because of the weird press surrounding it. So maybe the Migos broke up? And Takeoff and Quavo (who, I found out yesterday, are related as uncle and nephew) formed a new group? Anyway, the song is decent, I expect it'll be pretty popular this summer.


John Legend - "Dope (feat. JID)":


This duo was not on my Bingo card for a team up, but I can't think of any artist that JID wouldn't sound great with. And John sounds pretty great, too.


Flume - Palaces:


As of writing this article, I have not heard this whole album, but each single was super promising and took me back to the great days of Summer *** when Flume released Skin.


The Notorious B.I.G. - "G.O.A.T. (feat. Ty Dolla $ign & Bella Alubo)":


I have no clue what the story is behind this song, and I don't know if I want to know. Leave this poor, dead man and his mother alone. It's been 20 years, y'all, this cash cow is out of milk.


________________________________________________


What are you listening to today? Were you able to put down the new Kendrick album long enough to listen to anything? Let us know in the comments below!

- Ritter

Comments

  1. I think you're right, Migos is Migone. Offset unfollowed Takeoff and Quavo on the insta. Apparently Quavo and Offset are cousins too. Family Christmas could be weird this year.

    Anyway, I've been listening to Harold's Hut. I agree that this album seems more cohesive than Fine Line. I really appreciate the brass features throughout. The last two songs are skips for me, but otherwise a great album.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for yelling at us!