"Unlimited Love" for the Red Hot Chili Peppers

It was 2006. My mom lucked out on a deal for two 64-gig block iPods at Best Buy for $100. I would quickly fill up the storage with bands that sounded cool while never actually having listened to their music – 3 Door Down, Boston, Green Day, Nickelback, The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, etc. Later on in the day we would go to the pier where I would plug in my certified Apple headphones and think I was the coolest kid in the world as I strolled, people watched, and jammed on a California boardwalk. Making the walk even cooler was discovering a strange named band that made my walk feel like I was in a Hollywood movie – the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

I came to love RHCP because they exemplified groove, had killer guitar licks, and rocked in the way only a laid-back, funky, psychedelic California rock band could. Though they had been around since the 80s, I came to love Stadium Arcadium and By the Way. The albums came to accompany me on long drives, state relocations, and hyped me up before football games, track meets, and to this day, when necessary, help me get into character as an actor. All of this is to say, if you like RHCP like I do, you’re going to love their latest album, Unlimited Love.


The album opens with “Black Summer” and demonstrates RHCP can adapt with the times. I generally don’t like autotune, but the opening number beautifully blends with lead singer Anthony Kiedis’ vocals. Then, you’re hit with the trademark drumline. Followed by a killer guitar solo. The denouement then begs for you to get out of your seat and jam along. And with an upcoming world tour, I’m sure that many will be doing so.

There are many other good tracks on this album. “Here Ever After” implies that RHCP will never stop being who they have become. Further along, “Bastards of Light” opens like an 80s techno single and then transforms into the iconic RHCP simplicity of a guitar progression with a finely crafted chorus. Closing out the album, “Tangelo” softly hopes to become the end to an old Clint Eastwood western.

The album continues to build upon the iconic sound RHCP has crafted over the last decades. A psychedelic trip that can either enlighten you on sex, drugs and rock and roll or love, loss, addiction, and recovery. And maybe this is what makes the album special. You can rock along to a larger theme that RHCP has experienced but is just now figuring out.

Other reviews to the album have been fairly mixed. Some reviews say the album lacks creativity and diversity. Others complain that there isn’t a memorable track on the album. Some praise the band’s ability to live up to their iconic sound after 40 years in the business. While I certainly hear their arguments, I’m left still playing this album on repeat. There’s a lot to love, there’s a lot that is new, and if you like the sound of RHCP, be like Taylor and ignore the haters.

________________________________________________

Which Kidz Bop album should Dane review next week? Let us know in the comments below!

- Botts

Comments