Friday Roundup (of News & Thoughts & Such) - April 15

Welcome to the Friday Roundup (of News and Thoughts and Such) which, at some number of consecutive weeks, is channel.WAV’s longest running and most prestigious column, which I, Brandon Slone, am writing at 2:30 AM AGAIN. Tbh not much happened again this week. But I have to put forth more effort this week or Dane will have me back on the “pictures of Spider-Man” beat again, which is less fun since Google Images became a thing. 


1. Billie Eilish and Finneas in Simpsons short

Hey, that’s a fun thing, yea?


2. National Recording Registry adds some classics

“Bohemian Rhapsody” and “Don’t Stop Believin’”, as well as classic hip hop albums Enter the Wu Tang (36 Chambers) and The Low End Theory were selected for preservation in the Library of Congress. Also neat.


3. Tame Impala x The Wiggles


In the collaboration you didn’t know you needed (I say “you” specifically, because I certainly have been advocating for this for a decade or more), Kevin Parker joined The Wiggles onstage for a performance of “Elephant.” This relationship has been brewing since January, when The Wiggles first covered the song for their ReWiggled album. The cover topped Australia’s triple j Hot 100 countdown. Good, wholesome fun.


4. DJ Khaled and Jay-Z shook hands for like an hour


DJ Khaled received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame this week and, in congratulations, Jay-Z shook his hand. And then he kept shaking his hand. Some say, on nights like this, when the wind is high and the moon shines bright, you can still hear them shaking hands.


What’s channel.WAV listening to this week?


Ritter: The trees at my childhood house were knocked over by strong winds this week. For some reason that triggered deep nostalgia and I’ve been listening to early John Mayer.


Botts: All I’ve been listening to is Bronco. And you should be too. This is my favorite off of the album. (Cmon Baby, Cry)


Slone: Bronco has been in my heavy rotation this week as well. As has American Idiot, which I’m convinced has aged as well as anything so distinctly early 2000s possibly could.

Comments