Friday Roundup (of News & Thoughts & Such) - March 11th Edition

We’re typing on my phone this week because this week has been a disaster, and it’s time for the Weekly Roundup of whatever it’s called, I don’t have my computer. I’m your host Brandon and stuff. 

1. Billy Joel biopic to not feature music of Billy Joel. Or likeness. Or name, maybe?

So, yeah this story’s pretty funny. It was announced today (March 10) that a new Billy Joel biopic has been greenlit, with no involvement from the man himself. And no licensing whatsoever. The truest form of manifesting, this. I’ll actually recommend that you read up on this for realsies because it is a very funny story. 


2. Sam Smith “Dancing With a Stranger” Lawsuit

Sam Smith, the artist behind the… not worst but certainly least memorable Bond theme, is being sued over alleged similarities between their song Dancing With a Stranger and a 2015 song of the same name. I wanted to find a comparison video to weigh in, but haven’t been able to do so just yet. I’m a big fan of this type of thing so maybe it’ll be fodder for a future listicle. Y’all like listicles right? Maybe a little clickbait type thing? “You Won’t Believe these Artists Got Away With This!!!” And then maybe a lil thumbnail of me making a 😳🤯😱😲🙊 face? Yeah, we can run with that. 


3. Kanye West: Still Dumb


I weighed talking about this dude and his hijinks but at this point I’m no longer comfortable giving air to his toxic bullshit, so consider this formal notice that I’m gonna be ignoring him in these articles going forward. 


4. Dua Lipa “Levitating” Lawsuit(s)

Oh, baby a twofer!!! In more ways than one! Dua Lipa has been hit with 2 separate lawsuits over her hit “Levitating” in the past couple of weeks. The first claims portions of the song’s melody to have been lifted from Artikal Sound System’s track “Live Your Life.” The second claims the song’s intro to have been lifted from a pair of disco tunes: “Don Diablo” by Miguel Bosé and the fantastically named “Wiggle And Giggle All Night” by Cory Daye. I was able to find comparison videos on these and I have to say, I can definitely hear it. 



What is channel.WAV listening to this week?



Slone: Two things: 1). Tom Waits is a genius. Straight up. Top 5 American singer/songwriter of all time. I’ll fight you if you say otherwise. I won’t really fight you. But I will give you a VERY mean look. 2). Judas Priest is objectively better than Iron Maiden. It’s factual. It’s science. 


Ritter: Listening to Nirvana accidentally always reminds me how much I love Nirvana. Anyway, I saw The Batman last weekend and was reminded of the great “Something in the Way”.


Botts: By and By by Caamp will make you want to go Bye, Bye, Bye and escape into the country. Also, I (and Brandon probably) implore you to listen to The New Basement Tapes. The only thing better than Bob Dylan songs is Marcus Mumford singing them. 
*(Brandon’s note: lol no) 
*(Editor's note: Why do I get left out of the New Basement Tapes praise? Am I such uncultured swine?)


________________________________________________

Well, is Dane uncultured swine? Let us know in the comments below!


- Slone


Comments