channel.WAV's Undeniably Correct 2022 Grammy Predictions

Image courtesy of Grammys

Needless to say, nothing that the Grammys do this weekend could possibly contend with the slap heard around the world, but we don't really look to the Recording Academy for entertainment on "Music's Biggest Night," do we?

No, we tune in because we're here to get upset with how out of touch the Grammys are and forever will be, and most importantly, to let them know about how wrong they are the next day on Twitter.

Alas, it is time, once again, for channel.WAV's annual Grammy predictions, where we imitate the Grammy winners' selection process, and take a very wild stab in the dark at a list of names, songs, and/or albums. Join us, won't you?

Brandon's note: Y’all, I despise the Grammys. In a world of award shows with no credibility, the Grammys have a special place as being the very least credible. I absolutely do not mean to denigrate the performers and artists receiving awards, but I can’t muster enthusiasm for a show that called Macklemore a better rapper than Kendrick Lamar. Anyway, picks. This is going to be a… low effort outing from Brandon.

SONG OF THE YEAR

Nominees:

  • Ed Sheeran - "Bad Habits"
  • Alicia Keys & Brandi Carlile - "A Beautiful Noise"
  • Olivia Rodrigo - "drivers license"
  • H.E.R. - "Fight For You"
  • Billie Eilish - "Happier Than Ever"
  • Silk Sonic - "Leave the Door Open"
  • Brandi Carlile - "Right on Time"
  • Doja Cat - "Kiss Me More (feat. SZA)"
  • Lil Nas X - "Montero (Call Me By Your Name)"
  • Justin Bieber - "Peaches (feat. Daniel Caesar & Giveon)"
BOTTS: "Bad Habits" wins. My vote for this category is based solely on how I can horribly sing along to this song. And this song did it for me. I have sang this song in the key of Nickelback, Drake, and John Mayer. It has lived in my head like a bad roommate who is unwilling to pay rent. I truly believe the voting block will be like, “Oh yeah, that song has been with me all year – it has my vote.” But, if Rodrigo wins I won’t be mad about it.

SLONE: This will go to Olivia Rodrigo. She absolutely dominated pop culture in 2021, and as I’m writing this, there is an article on Billboard called “How big will Olivia Rodrigo’s big night be.”

RITTER: It's hard to imagine any of these not winning come Sunday night (except the Brandi Carlile song which I've never heard), but I think "Leave the Door Open" has gotten the most radio play of any of them, so hey, I'll go with the funky Silk Sonic men.


RECORD OF THE YEAR

Nominees:

  • ABBA - "I Still Have Faith In You"
  • Jon Batiste - "Freedom"
  • Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga - "I Get A Kick Out of You"
  • Justin Bieber - "Peaches (feat. Daniel Caesar & Giveon)"
  • Brandi Carlile - "Right on Time"
  • Doja Cat - "Kiss Me More (feat. SZA)"
  • Billie Eilish - "Happier Than Ever"
  • Lil Nas X - "Montero (Call Me By Your Name)"
  • Olivia Rodrigo - "drivers license"
  • Silk Sonic - "Leave the Door Open"

BOTTS: While I don’t believe this is the best record off of an album from the past year, I do think that the voting block will be looking to cap off Bennet’s legendary career with another Grammy win before he’s officially gone, so "I Get a Kick Out of You" is my choice. Plus Lady Gaga. However, if Olivia Rodrigo sweeps this along with several other categories I will not be surprised.

SLONE: This will go to Olivia Rodrigo. She absolutely dominated pop culture in 2021, and as I’m writing this, there is an article on Billboard called “How big will Olivia Rodrigo’s big night be.”

RITTER: Still entirely unsure of "Record" vs. "Song" and I still refuse to look up the difference. Anyway, "Montero" should win without a doubt, Lil Nas deserves all of the best.


ALBUM OF THE YEAR

Nominees:

  • Jon Batiste - We Are
  • Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga - Love for Sale
  • Justin Bieber - Justice (Triple Chucks Deluxe)
  • Doja Cat - Planet Her (Deluxe)
  • Billie Eilish - Happier Than Ever
  • H.E.R. - Back of My Mind
  • Lil Nas X - Montero
  • Olivia Rodrigo - SOUR
  • Taylor Swift - Evermore
  • Kanye West - Donda

BOTTS: SOUR for the win. The only true competitor is Taylor Swift and Kanye West. There, I said it. While I do hope Evermore can pull out the upset victory because of its great supporting cast (Bon Iver & Haim to name a few). I believe the strength in this prediction lies in Rodrigo’s success in her debut and standalone album. SOUR will sweep like St. Peters (any basketball fans out there besides Mr. David Ritter?). My only question regarding this category is which version of Donda has been nominated? And, has Brandon listened to it?

SLONE: This will go to Olivia Rodrigo. She absolutely dominated pop culture in 2021, and as I’m writing this, there is an article on Billboard called “How big will Olivia Rodrigo’s big night be.”

RITTER: I'm gonna pull for a dark horse this year, and throw my vote towards Planet Her, which produced one of my favorite songs of last year ("Kiss Me More").


BEST NEW ARTIST

Nominees:

  • Arooj Aftab
  • Jimmie Allen
  • Baby Keem
  • FINNEAS
  • Glass Animals
  • Japanese Breakfast
  • The Kid LAROI
  • Arlo Parks
  • Olivia Rodrigo
  • Saweetie

BOTTSTRADAMUS: Olivia’s the best new thing since sliced bread. Haven’t you heard? If not, go and listen. Let’s also not talk about the curse because I want more good music.

SLONE: This will go to Olivia Rodrigo. She absolutely dominated pop culture in 2021, and as I’m writing this, there is an article on Billboard called “How big will Olivia Rodrigo’s big night be.”

RITTER: If Olivia doesn't win, we riot. Also, the teens might revolt and who will sustain Tik Tok when they're gone? I'd also be more than happy to see Japanese Breakfast pull through.


*Brandon's note pt. 2: Personally, I am lobbying Dane to move this blog behind a Patreon pay wall because it’s not fair that you get to read such deep, hard-hitting analysis for free.



________________________________________________

Let's be honest, you're not watching, we're barely watching -- let's just agree to catch up on the winners here at the blog come Monday morning. But let us know what picks we got wrong at the bottom! Comment! Love us!


- channel.WAV Staff


Comments