Staff Inspection: Dawn FM

Probably like a lot of our readers, we at channel.WAV HQ decided to make some New Year's resolutions, or rather, come up with some fresh ideas. So today, we're presenting our first ever staff review.

The first big music release of the year appeared in the form of The Weeknd's Dawn FM, announced only five days before it reached streaming services. From what Abel has said publicly, it was due for a later release date, but was pushed up because the pandemic was darkening and he felt like the world could use it.

So we thought this is a perfect opportunity to blather about nothing while we listen to the album at the same time, but separate.

Without further ado:


On the album opener:

Ritter: Jim Carrey is the wildest choice for a narrator since Morgan Freeman narrated the 21 Savage album.

Slone: Dennis Hopper popped up on a Gorillaz album once. That happened.

S: [Abel] has apparently been listening to a lot of new wave.

R: Huge new wave influence throughout.

Botts: By that logic, the Weeknd and John Mayer are only a collaboration away.


On the second track, "Gasoline":

R: I didn't think it was anything special.

S: I liked it.

S: I'm a mark for semi-spoken perishing new wave voices with fake British accents. Sue me.

R: I do think it's a nuanced genre but a good shift in experimentation for [The Weeknd].

BI could never come up with a new wave album. I could come up with an album that people would say is raw and bloody like a good steak. But if this album is the Weeknd's take on a raw and bloody emotion via the genre of new wave I’m here for it.

BThe new wave is good but it’s not for the here and now, in my opinion.


On "How Do I Make You Love Me":

B: This song is something I would listen to if I wasn't sure I wanted to cry. 


On "Take My Breath":

R: The transition into this song was wild. Gapless playback for the win. 

R: Also, it's apparently about erotic asphyxiation?

S: I'm a sucker for transitions between songs.

R: It feels very cohesive because of them.


Much later, on "Here We Go... Again (feat. Tyler, the Creator)" and a halfway-thru thought:

S: Smooth Tyler.

R: Verse seemed way too short.

R: We’re past halfway thru and I have to say it’s pretty good so far, but my biggest complaint is that a lot of the songs have the same tempo and drum pattern and while that’s awesome for transitions, the songs are kinda blending into each other. I like a lot of the sounds and content, though.

S: I understand that complaint but these sounds are interesting enough that I don’t mind it.

R: These synths are absolutely astounding.

B: These synths will cause the iRobot uprising in 20 years. Calling it.


On "Every Angel is Terrifying":

R: The commitment to the radio theme is fun. The ad didn't feel forced, which can be tough with skits.

*Liked by Aaron Botts*


On "I Heard You're Married" (or, rather just Lil Wayne):

S: Ugggggghhhh, Lil Wayne.

R: Is that a good "Ugggggghhhh" or a bad "Ugggggghhhh"?

SThere is no good when lil Wayne is involved.

R: Oh my

R: Not even 2000s Lil Wayne??

SI despise him. I think he could not possibly be more overrated, and I think even his good stuff is like a 4/10.

R: That is a spicy take, but I also get it. 

S: Sometimes the truth is spicy.


On "Less Than Zero":

R: The instrumental for this song sorta sounds like Sob Rock-era John Mayer, speaking of.

B: So JM did it first, then?


On "Phantom Regret by Jim":

S: I dig this.

R: The outro is absolutely beautiful. 


The staff's final thoughts:

R: I noticed a lot of Prince influence sonically and lyrically.

SI liked [the album] a whole lot. I’m going to need to listen to it again more critically but I think I can tentatively say that’s my favorite album of his.

B: Me gusta.

BI like the new wave, to be honest. My only worry is falling into the trope of new wave rather than expanding what new wave could be and the Weeknd could have definitely pushed it.

R: I think he’s done a great job evolving sonically and thematically. That was a wild ride mostly because he had the right pieces falling in the right places vis-a-vis Jim, the transitions, the radio element, etc. He said this is part two of a trilogy so I’m excited to see if he runs with this sound more on the next album.


Annnnd, finally, on the "controversial" album art:

S: At the risk of sounding dumb, I don't get it.

B: At the risk of sounding cliché, I might get it?

RThe best connection I could make (and maybe this is overthinking it) thematically he’s talking a lot about growing old in purgatory and realizing what a waste some things are like relationships, possessions, etc, but then coming to terms with it brings a soul divinity and allows the soul to see Heaven or in this case the dawn. So with the cover he’s looking back on his life with his back turned to heaven and peace. I dunno.


There you have it! A whole lot of nothing that came to the consensus Dawn FM is a good album/10.


________________________________________________

What did you think of The Weeknd's latest music? Does it hold up to After Hours? Do you think this Trilogy will top the original? Sound off below!


- The channel.WAV staff


Comments