channel.WAV's Undeniably Correct 2021 Grammy Predictions

 

    Wait, the Grammys are this weekend? And is it me, or do the nomination lists feel as empty as the crowd is expected to be? Who knows what to expect from the first-ever socially-distanced Grammys, except that its finger will most definitely

    After wide-spread hate from the Weeknd’s snub, I thought the award show would be indefinitely canceled -- but not even Weeknd stans can prevent the inevitable 4-hour drivel that’s aired every fricking year. Don't worry, Abel: if Frank can’t stop the Grammys, no one can.

    Regardless, we here at channel.WAV wanted to throw our hats in the ring and give you our predictions (plus our hopes that the Academy will maybe award the right nominees?) -- and at the least give some shoutouts to our favorites in the general categories.


SONG OF THE YEAR

Nominees:

  • Beyoncé - “Black Parade”

  • Roddy Ricch - “The Box”

  • Taylor Swift - “cardigan”

  • Post Malone - “Circles”

  • Dua Lipa - “Don’t Start Now”

  • Billie Eilish - “everything i wanted”

  • H.E.R. - “I Can’t Breathe”

  • JP Saxe - “If the World Was Ending (feat. Julia Michaels)”


BOTTS: My prediction: Taylor Swift – "cardigan"     To the Transy community who will read this and say, “Oh, another Sig who is sucking up to Tswift looking for a retweet,” kindly fuck off. This song is good. And, can’t we all (@thetransycommunity) identify with ‘a friend to all is a friend to none’ or ‘dancin’ in your Levi’s, drunk under a streetlight’? This is a song that will hit an emotion different each and every time.

My wish: Harry Styles – Watermelon Sugar     Not even a nomination? Come on…

Winner: Taylor Swift - "cardigan"


SLONE: Because Grammys gonna Grammy, Taylor Swift’s third most interesting single of the year is the one that got a nomination for Song of the Year. I have no strong feelings about this category one way or another, so I’m just going to give this to Beyoncé.

Winner: Beyoncé - "Black Parade"


RITTER: Last year, he beat out Justin Bieber for a decent number one stint atop Billboard, I think he’ll bring some nice competition for heavyweights Taylor and Beyoncé this year. If nothing more than some variety in the show (lord, please).

Winner: Roddy Rich - "The Box"

RECORD OF THE YEAR

Nominees:

  • Beyoncé - Black Parade

  • Black Pumas - “Colors”

  • DaBaby - “Rockstar (feat. Roddy Rich)”

  • Doja Cat - “Say So”

  • Billie Eilish - “everything i wanted”

  • Dua Lipa - “Don’t Start Now”

  • Post Malone - “Circles”

  • Megan Thee Stallion - “Savage Remix (feat. Beyoncé)”


BOTTS: My prediction: Beyonce – Black Parade

    ‘ “Damn.” – Kendrick ‘ – Aaron Botts. Nuff said.

My wish: Post Malone – Circles     We all have a Jerry moment (from the cult television favorite Rick and Morty). You aimlessly and mindlessly enjoy something despite the chaos around you? For me, it’s Circles. Driving to a job I hated, working through a personal crisis, and helping my body process stress through multiple workouts – this record has helped me through 2020. And isn’t that enough?

Winner: Beyoncé - "Black Parade"


SLONE: Do you know the difference between Record of the Year and Song of the Year? Be honest, no Googling. I won’t make fun of you. 

    Anyway, I’m gonna talk about Black Pumas some more, because apparently a song released in April of 2019 is eligible to be the best record of 2020. I know it was a slow year, but… what? I promise I’m done talking about this now. 

    Anyway, my prediction is Savage because it’s good.

Winner: Megan Thee Stallion - “Savage Remix”.


RITTER: I most certainly do not know the difference, Brandon, and I refuse to take the five seconds to Google. >:(

    Regardless, y'all heard Queen Bey rap on this shit? Woof.

Winner: Megan Thee Stallion - “Savage Remix”.

ALBUM OF THE YEAR

Nominees:

  • Jhené Aiko - Chilombo

  • Black Pumas - Black Pumas

  • Coldplay - Everyday Life

  • Jacob Collier - Djesse vol. 3

  • HAIM - Women in Music pt. III

  • Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia

  • Post Malone - Hollywood’s Bleeding

  • Taylor Swift - folklore


BOTTS: My prediction: Dua Lipa – Future Nostalgia     If you’re a fan of It’s Always Sunny… we can all identify with Charlie Day’s, “Pepe Silvia” monologue. And, with Future Nostalgia I feel like Charlie Day: “Everywhere I look it’s Future Nostalgia Future Nostalgia Future Nostalgia!” Future Nostalgia is everywhere and maybe the best way to judge this chaotic year’s album is seeing how it permeated into everyone’s life.

My wish: Coldplay – Everyday Life     It’s been a while since Coldplay released something that pushed an artistic boundary. The first time I heard the album, Dane Ritter and I were playing Call of Duty and I thought ‘Sunrise’ was a grim part of what awaited our multiplayer adventure. It turns out it was the introduction to something you should listen to. It’s what you wish came after Viva La Vida.

Winner: Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia


SLONE: This is such a weird category this year. Immediately striking to me is that Black Pumas managed to get nominated last year for Best New Artist, and then managed to get nominated for Album of the Year for the “Deluxe” version of the same album. I’m calling bullshit on that one.

    Anyway, I cannot in good conscience award this to anyone other than Taylor Swift or Dua Lipa. Taylor has won recently enough that our old pals at the Recording Academy may feel pressured to keep things interesting and give it to someone new. But, then, when have the Grammys ever been interesting? I’m gonna go ahead and give this to Taylor Swift before I accidentally scare myself into thinking that Coldplay is going to win. 

Winner: Taylor Swift - folklore


RITTER: I want Coldplay or Black Pumas to come out on top, but I think folklore will earn Taylor her first well-deserved AOTY. I'm still in mourning about Grammys 2016 (and 2018 if I'm being honest) so this one hurt me deeply. Sorry, Kendrick.

Winner: Taylor Swift - folklore

BEST NEW ARTIST

Nominees:

  • Ingrid Andress

  • Phoebe Bridgers

  • Chika

  • Noah Cyrus

  • D Smoke

  • Doja Cat

  • Kaytranada

  • Megan Thee Stallion


BOTTS: My prediction: Megan Thee Stallion     She’s got an amazing resume. And, she’ll be a culturally defining legacy when we all look back at 2020. She should be a no-brainer.


My wish: Phoebe Bridgers

    Everyone I know is saying, “Do you like Phoebe Bridgers?” Yes. Quit asking. What makes you think I wouldn’t like her? I also like John Mayer, and he lost this category in 2003. Which makes me excited to see what she’ll be doing in 15 years…

Winner: Megan Thee Stallion


SLONE: Forget The Weeknd, the biggest Grammy snub of the year was the failure to nominate Black Pumas for Best New Artist for a second time. I really am hung up on this.

    Anyway, I’d call this a 2-horse race between Phoebe Bridgers and Megan Thee Stallion. I’m pretty vocal in my Phoebe love, but it feels like Megan has been a constant cultural force of late. I’m hesitant to even make a pick here, because I feel like what I’m betting on more than anything is whether the Grammys are willing to be dragged kicking and screaming into the modern era. They probably aren’t, but I’m an optimist.

Winner: Megan Thee Stallion


RITTER: I would love to see House/Hip-hop producer Kaytranada earn a much-deserved win and leave everyone scratching their heads and frantically searching Spotify. But c'mon, who made Tik Tok the new music-sharing platform?? Who re-invented the industry by accident?! This is a no-brainer for me. Although, wouldn't be surprised with Phoebe's popularity for the complete upset.

Winner: Megan Thee Stallion


________________________________________________

Will y’all be tuning in this year, or have we all collectively decided Meg and T-Swift are sweeping the general awards? Let us know in the comments below or holler at us on Twitter!


Comments